Ridge guard was never my favorite.. My mom always tried to bring it in different flavors but I used to love very very few among them.. 🙂 Ridge guard with split green gram, Ridge guard with tomato and Ridge guard with lentils masala.. these were the three different variations which I always liked. Today, I have brought the recipe with split green gram. Not at all a tough one to prepare. This recipe has very simple ingredients in it.
2 medium sized thick Beerakayalu/Ridge guard/Turai
1/4 cup Split Green Gram/Pesarapappu/Moong Dal
1 Medium sized Onion chopped thin
5 Medium sized Green Chillies
1 inch long Ginger piece(probably your thumb size)
4 Garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
2 tbsp Coconut powder(optional)
Salt to taste
2 tsp Minapappu/Black Gram/Urad dal
1 tsp jeera/Cumin seeds
1 tsp Aavalu/Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
My Method of Cooking:
1. Chop Beerakayalu and keep aside. Make a fine(In Mixi)/coarse(using a motor pestle) paste of Ginger+Garlic+Green chillies.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add all the tempering ingredients. Add chopped Onions and fry them until translucent.
3. Add the Ginger+Garlic+Green chillies paste.
4. Mix well and let it fry for a minute.
5. Add the chopped Beerakaya pieces and washed split green gram. Add some salt.
6. Mix well and 1/4 cup of water to the vegetable mix in the pan.
7. Add a pinch of turmeric, mix well and close the lid. Simmer down the flame a little less than medium and let it cook for about 15 min.
8. Open the lid and check if the Beerakaya and the green gram are softly cooked.
9. Add the chopped Coriander leaves and Coriander powder. Mix well.
10. Add the coconut powder and mix well.
11. Collect the curry in a bowl and serve hot with white rice or rotis.